Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Resurrection 2009

Sometimes God places us in situations just so we can see His power at work. Well, this past weekend was one of those times for me. Frank, Jacob and I went along with our church youth group to Gatlinburg, TN for Resurrection 2009 (a Methodist Youth Retreat). It was our first trip to Resurrection and I wasn't sure what to expect. I had heard some amazing stories, but I still couldn't quite grasp the whole concept. I admit, that when Frank first volunteered us to go, I was more than a little apprehensive. But, as time to go grew closer, I began to get excited about it. By the time we left I was really looking forward to it. Somewhere down deep in my heart, I knew I was going to meet God there. And oh boy, did He ever show up. I can not remember a more amazing time with the Lord. He showed up in full force. His presence was so clear. I'm still reeling from it. And Jacob loved it. He hung on every word. He danced with the band and just "got it." I mean he really "got it."
We had four sessions over the weekend. We started with one session on Friday night shortly after we arrived, Saturday morning and afternoon and a wonderful session Sunday morning complete with Communion. Our youth participated in the serving of Communion. I am so blessed and so touched to have received communion from these amazing kids.
The kids were great - no problems at all. Of course, I think they are a great group of kids regardless. I just love'em all. Of course, I have to tell this . . . us girls had a hard time going into the boys' rooms for our nightly devotions. Those rooms smelled awful! There was a grotesque combined smell of feet and "other body functions" that would knock us down at the door. But, a little Febreeze helped. Needless to say that after devotions, us girls hightailed it back to our sweet smelling girl rooms.
Anyway, the music was awesome. This band was on stage at every session and the kids went wild. They rushed the stage, they danced, they sang and they truly praised the Lord.
The main speaker was phenomenal. I admit, I had never heard of this guy before, but he really hit home. And, he spoke in such a manner that the kids just got it. Not to mention that he was hilarious in the process.
I just can't seem to find the words to describe exactly what I brought back with me. There were (literally) thousands of kids there - all of them hanging on the Word of God, praising Him, Glorifying Him - it was one of the most awe inspiring events I've ever been a part of.
Now, heres the trick - it's our responsibility to "keep the fires burning" in our kids. I'm not sure how that will happen, but I am sure that with God in charge it will be done.
So, will we go again to Resurrection - you bet. Jacob asked me Sunday morning, even before we had left Gatlinburg, if we could come back next year. Of course we will. I have a feeling that this is just the beginning of many Resurrection weekends to come.
I wish I had some pictures to share, but I left my camera at home. Yeah, I know. That won't happen again. Next year, I'll have lots of pictures and lots more blessings to share.
If you are curious about Resurrection you can visit this site and learn all about it. You can also find out how to register your youth to attend Resurrection 2010 which is the 25th anniversary. I highly recommend it.
I pray that you are as blessed as I am.

No comments: